Monday, October 27, 2008

my trip to cordoba

Hello everyone......I just got back from my trip to Cordoba this weekend. I got home at 3 in the morning today so I didnt have to go to school in the morning and I only had english class in the afternoon so its starting off to be a pretty good week. The AFS trip was a really good experience. THinking aboout all the people I know from all around the world is really crazy!! Now i¨ve met kids my age from places like turkey, tailand, iceland, latvia, france, italy, germany and more. The cool thing is that although we come from different places and cultures and speak different languages, we really are all the same person with the same thoughts and views of the world. The coolest part is that not everyone can speak English, so we all have to communicate with eachother in Spanish! its so awesome. i definitely learned a lot about myself over this weekend and now i have about a million places to visit!! on top of that cordoba is just and AMAZINGLY beautiful city, with a little bit of everything in it. In the camp we did some little activites to help understand the feelings that we´re going through and what else we can do or what objectives we can make to maximize our study abroad experience. I really liked the activites. In one, we had to create a mask of what we think people see when the look at us on the outside and on the other side of the mask we had to create who we really were on the inside. Through this activity I learned how much I have grown in these past months! Its crazy! Then my group got into a really heavy discussion with the boy from Turkey, who literally came to Argentina out of survival. He has a beautiful tattoo on his arm of all the instruments he plays. He says in Turkey, its forbidden to have tattoos and that when he has to go to the army next year they were going to try to either cut it off or just beat him. I also found out that someone had cut his stomach with a knife because he doesnt believe in God. I didnt even know this was going on in Turkey, and just to stand in front of him and listen to him tell me this made me really sad and angry at the world. I´´m not really sure what I´m going to do to help change things, but I know I will do something. we are all the same animal and killing and hating each other wont solve anything.

1 comment:

Mom/Trenda said...

I love you, Sydney. You are an amazing world citizen, and I'm so proud to call you my daughter. Help heal the world--we need more AFSers, like you, creating peace.

Miss you moo, Mama