Monday, December 15, 2008

deep thoughts...

Major cultural differences between the Argentineans and North Americans: Today I was walking to centro to do some major shopping in my alone time. So i´m walking, and I started to think about all of the things I´m missing school, me being such a freak about school and learning and stuff. And I started to totally freak out of course because here school is so much easier and the entire lifestyle is so laid back and less work-driven. So I´m like, oh my god, I´m getting dumber because I didn´t learn anything in school and I don´t do anything during the day and I don´t have any responsabilities at all! But then I started to realize that I am learning so much about life and other people and myself! So then I decided that those things are worth a lot more than what I can read in a textbook and forget after I take the test. For example. In the U.S. I judged people heavily, not gonna lie. When I came here, I didn´t have any friends and couldn´t interperet the difference in character between one person and the next because of the language barrier, and just had to go with my instincts. my brothers tell me that people who listen to cumbia music or do this or do that are bad people and i shouldnt hang out with them. But for me, they seemed like really nice people who I got along with great! Then I realized that I too judged people for things like the music they listened to and not for how they were on the inside!! So I´m really glad I made that realization! THen I also realized that its okay to take some time out of your day for yourself and you dont always have to be stressed out and doing something productive just to feel like youve accomplished something. Sometimes its just nice to sit outside with people you love and talk and laugh and enjoy life. Because this is the only life we have!! And although it seems like you have an eternity to live you dont! You can´t spend your time worrying what other people think about you and what you do with your life, because its yours and no one elses! This has been the biggest thing that the Argentineans have taught me. I just thought I would share it with you all.

1 comment:

La Parrita said...

Asi es la vida, chiquita. Me alegro que hayas aprendido esta leccion y que puedas crecer y abrir tu mente tan lejos de aqui. Seguramente vas a seguir adelante y ser una persona mejor. La compasion y entendimiento de otro ser humano es la leccion mas grande que hay que aprender en esta vida. Estoy MUY orgullosa de ti!!